Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A New Year!

Happy New Year to all my friends! Those who read my blog anyway, lol.
I loved having a long holiday weekend to start the new year. David had friday off so we drove to Syracuse to visit his step dad Bob, who just turned 90. We were talking about how long we had known Bob and realized it was more than 25 yrs. Then David said, gee, that's longer than I knew my Dad. David's dad died when David was 21 and our first year of marriage. It was the end of November and the holidays have never been the same for him. I treasure the relationship I had with my dad as an adult, I'm so sorry that David never had that.

Back to the long weekend.... I should have been in my studio working on a customer quilt but I am waiting for a thread order. I decided I did not have the perfect thread I needed. Do we ever? Yeesh.
So I spent Sat and Sun. in my jammies and in my sewing room. Never even stepped outside. Just sewed and played with fabric for two whole days. What a great way to start the year!

One of my internet quilting friends, Gayle, and I took a class at MQX 2 yrs ago. Well Gayle has been working on hers again and has inspired me to pull mine out and hopefully finish it this year. Somehow my center was 2" too small so I needed to redraft the sawtooth border. I made fewer and larger blocks but then decided to ad another element to them. Instead of 2 color I used 3.

Here is a picture:

The blocks above are Dear Jane, another ongoing project......

The next border is stars set in a black background. I have begun selecting fabrics for that. I think I am almost there and ready to begin cutting. maybe next weekend?

3 comments:

JL Santeusanio said...

Beautiful Gretchen..... I love the warm tones you've chosen for the stars!

Anonymous said...

I remember that star! Glad to see you are going to do something with it.

Anonymous said...

That is looking great! I like the different border.